“What you see here, what you do here, what you hear here, when you leave here, let it stay here.”[i]
An old adage of little town Oak Ridge, Tennessee, where the Manhattan Project laid its roots, this time, pays homage to a project by a different government agency. In this town, outside of Knoxville and the University of Tennessee, the supercomputer of all supercomputers is being born.
Nearly a decade in the works, this supercomputer is only part of the greater puzzle that the National Security Agency, formerly known in national security circles as “No Such Agency” or the “National Softball Association” when the full title was classified, is putting together to uncover maleficent foreign actors.
The other piece, what’s known as the “Utah Data Center,” has been under construction for 2 months, and is set to be finished in the fall of 2013.[ii]
Quietly and ironically becoming known as the most covert and robust spy agency in the United States, NSA has been at the forefront of information technology and cryptoanalysis since after Pearl Harbor, reinvented in the wake of 9/11.[iii]
With that, the Lint Center encourages you to learn more about the NSA: its history, role in national security, and awe-inspiring projects. Additionally, in the context of our NSA profile, we remind you that the free online Stanford Cryptography Course is now open for enrollment.
- NSA History: Welcome to the National Security Agency – NSA/CSS
- NSA Mission and Strategic Plan: NSA/CSS Strategy – NSA/CSS
- NSA News: Latest News Archives – NSA/CSS
The Lint Center Team
***NOTICE: The information included in this post is from open-source media outlets and documents. It is intended for informational purposes and to encourage individuals to learn more about exciting employment opportunities within the U.S. Government.***
- Bamford, James. The NSA is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center. Retrieved on 16 March 2012 from Wired. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/.
- NSA website. Welcome to the National Security Agency – NSA/CSS.
- Photos Retrieved on 16 March 2012 from Public Intelligence. Public Intelligence.
[i] Bamford, James. The NSA is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center. Retrieved on 16 March 2012 from Wired, http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/